Dr. Shivapriya Shivakumar
Post Doctoral Fellow
Dr. Shivapriya Shivakumar
Post Doctoral Fellow
3rd Floor, Narayana Nethralaya, Narayana Health City
# 258/A, Bommasandra, Hosur Road,
Bangalore, 560099 INDIA.
Dr. Shivapriya Shivakumar, has obtained her PhD in Biotechnology, (Clinical Neuroscience) from School of Bioengineering, SRM University, India. Her research work was based on drug discovery and development for Life style disorders like Neurodegenerative disorders (Senile Dementia of Alzheimer’s Type/Parkinson’s Disease), Type II Diabetes Mellitus, Cardio vascular disease, and Metabolic & Meanopausal syndromes under DST funded programme. Her research mainly focused on studying different In-vitro, In-vivo models and carrying out clinical trials (Phase I, II and III trials) for the above diseases. She has also worked in multicentric research programme with National Universities and Institute (Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, UP, Genome Foundation (Hyderabad), and Adesh University, Batinda, Punjab) for establishment of national facility for conducting clinical trials in accordance to GLP and GCP norms. She is currently a postdoctoral fellow in Grow Research Laboratory, Narayana Nethralaya. Her current research interest is on basic and translational research of the ocular system and understanding the molecular signalling involved in the pathogenesis of ocular diseases. Her research expertises are In-vitro disease modelling for ocular disease, molecular signalling, and autophagy regulation and in developing alternate and non-invasive treatment strategies for ocular diseases.
Ph.D: 2016, Department of Biotechnology, School of Bioengineering, SRM University, Chennai, India.
MSc: 2010, Animal Biotechnology, Bharathiar University, India (University Second rank, First class with Distinction).
BSc: 2008 Biotechnology, Bharathidasan University, India (First class with Distinction).
Current Research Interests:
Molecular signalling pathways involved in ocular disorders, ageing and its effect on ocular diseases, age related ocular disorders, Oxidative stress in ocular diseases, Role of marcoautophagy and selective autophagy in relation to stress and ocular diseases progression, Inflammation and its interaction with autophagy in ocular disease pathogenesis, targeting novel therapies small molecules for ocular diseases. Cancer biology- associated signalling pathways and studying novel therapeutic targets in respects to TERT gene.
ACADEMIC AWARDS AND HONORS
- 2019- ARVO International travel grant award. “Vitamin D enhances the autophagic lysosomal clearance in oxidatively stressed human corneal epithelial cells: A therapeutic intervention for keratoconus” ARVO Annual conference Vancouver, Canada.
- 2019- ARVO International-Oral presentation. “Vitamin D enhances the autophagic lysosomal clearance in oxidatively stressed human corneal epithelial cells: A therapeutic intervention for keratoconus” ARVO Annual conference Vancouver, Canada.
- 2017- IERG-ARVO Best Oral presentation award. “Oxidative stress induces dysregulated autophagy through AKT/mTOR in corneal epithelium of keratoconus patients”. IERG-ARVO Annual conference, Aravind eye hospital, Madurai.
- 2017- IERG-ARVO travel award. “Oxidative stress induces dysregulated autophagy through AKT/mTOR in corneal epithelium of keratoconus patients”IERG-ARVO Annual conference, Aravind eye hospital, Madurai.
- 2010- University second rank holder- Msc, Animal biotechnology, Bharathiyar University, India.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Grow Research lab, Narayana Nethralaya Bangalore.
Research Fellow/scholar (2011-2016), Department of Biotechnology, School of Bioengineering, SRM University, Tamil Nadu, India.
Senior Research Fellow- BNRS, DAE funded Project. Grow research Lab, Narayana Nethralaya, Bommasandra, Bangalore.
Research Fellow for 5 years under DST funded project for Drug Discovery and Development of Ayurveda Drugs for life style disorders- “Establishment of national facility for conducting clinical trial in accordance to international GLP and GCP norms.” for prevention and management of age related neurodegenerative disorder with special reference to Senile Dementia of Alzheimer’s type, Type II diabetes, cardiovascular, menopausal and metabolic syndromes- using a polyherbal formulation”- DST funded- Multicentre project, SRM University, Chennai.
Collaborative research programme with IMS, BHU, Varanasi, Genome Research Foundation, Hyderabad and & Adesh University, Batinda, Punjab.
Current working on-
1. Role of autophagy in pterygium pathogenesis
2. regulation of autophagy in and use of small molecules for keratoconus
3. anti-inflammatory and autophagy regulation of trehalose and chloroquine in ocular surfaces disease
4. Regulation of telomerase in glioblastoma
5. use of hTERT and TERC+TERT plasmids for generating secondary lines from Primary cells.
- 1. Trailokyanath Panigrahi1#, Shivapriya Shivakumar1#, Rohit Shetty, Sharon D’souza, Everette Jacob RN, Swaminathan Sethu1, Nallathambi Jeyabalan1 and Arkasubhra Ghosh1. Trehalose augments autophagy to mitigate stress induced inflammation in human corneal cells. The Ocular Surface, 2019
- 2. Shivapriya Shivakumar,1 Trailokyanath Panigrahi,1 Rohit Shetty,2 MuraliSubramani,1 Arkasubhra Ghosh,1 and Nallathambi Jeyabalan1. “Chloroquine Protects Human Corneal Epithelial Cells from Desiccation Stress Induced Inflammation without Altering the Autophagy Flux”. BioMed Research International, Volume 2018, Article ID 7627329, 13 pages.
- 3. Shivapriya Shivakumar*, K. Illango, G. P. Dubey, N. Subhasree,, Aruna agrawal. Evaluation of plant based formulation on Adolescent obesity and its associated bio-markers: A randomized, double blind, placebo controlled study. Complementary therapies in medicine, Volume 23, Issue 2, Pages 157–164, April 2015.
- 4. Shivapriya Shivakumar*, K. Illango, G. P. Dubey, Aruna agrawal. “Evaluation of antioxidant and Neuroprotective effect of Hippophae rhamnoides on IMR32 human cell line against oxidative stress induced cytotoxicity”. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences, September 2015.
- 5. G. P. Dubey · Ananya Sadhu · Prabhat Upadhyay · Praveen K. Singh · Shivapriya Shivakumar · Aruna Agrawal · Ilango K · V. N. Mishra Combination Treatment with a Novel Polyherbal Formulation and Metformin: A Single Blind Placebo-Controlled Study in Patients with T2DM and Cognitive Impairments. Diabetes Research. 1: 4, Aug, 2015.
- 6. Rinki Verma, Aruna Agarwal, Shivapriya Shivakumar, Praveen Singh, GPI, Singh, G.P. Dubey. Hyperhomocysteinemia, Cognitive Deficits, and Delayed P300 Latencies in Malnourished Children from Northern India, Mental health in Family medicine, Jan 2016.
- 7. Prabhat Upadhyay, Ananya Sadhu, Suresh Purohit, Praveen K Singh, Shivapriya Shivakumar, Aruna Agrawal, K. Ilango and Govind Prasad Dubey. Effect of a Novel Polyherbal Formulation on Diabetes Induced Memory Deficits in Rats, Clinical & Experimental Pharmacology. October 14, 2015.
- 8. Shivapriya shivakumar, K.Illango, Aruna Agrawal, G.P. Dubey. Cognitive enhancement of Hippophae rhamnoides via neurochemical modulation on scopolamine induced rats. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 2014, 5(10): 4153-4158.
- 9. Shivapriya Shivakumar, K. Ilango, A. Trigyunat, Aruna Agrawal, G.P.Dubey. In-vivo antioxidant and neuroprotective activity of Hippophae rhamnoides”.”IJPPS” 2013, Vol 5, Issue 2, 222-226.
- 10. Shivapriya Shivakumar, Sandhiya, Subhasree, Aruna Agrawal, G.P.Dubey. In vivo antioxidant and antibacterial activity of fruit rind extracts Garcinia cambogia. IJPPS 2013, Vol 5, Issue 2, 254-257.