Dr. Arkasubhra Ghosh
Director, GROW Research Laboratory
Dr. Arkasubhra Ghosh
Director, GROW Research Laboratory
3rd Floor, Narayana Nethralaya, Narayana Health City
# 258/A, Bommasandra, Hosur Road,
Bangalore - 560 099 - INDIA.
Dr. Arkasubhra Ghosh obtained his PhD from the University of Missouri-Columbia, on Molecular medicine/Gene Therapy where research focused on split-gene approaches for effective gene therapy of genetic disorders like DMD and CF. He did his fellowship at the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Singapore working on signalling networks underlying inflammation in human disease. He has joined Narayana Nethralaya Foundation with the aim of setting up modern research facilities that will harness the huge patient load at the hospital for discovery of molecular pathways and mechanisms underlying various ophthalmic disorders. The GROW research laboratory was established by Dr Arkasubhra Ghosh in May, 2013, with the goal of performing patient directed, discovery research for application in future diagnostics, drug repurposing and novel therapies. The laboratory focuses on understanding the genetic and molecular signaling mechanisms driving pathogenesis of ocular disorders and cancers. In particular, we are interested in signal cascades that determine the course and severity of the disorders for applications in early clinical diagnosis and identification of novel therapeutic targets. The laboratory research techniques focus on identifying these processes from primary patient samples by genetics, transcriptomic analyses, protein biochemistry, mass spectrometry and flow cytometric methods followed by modeling the conditions in relevant in vitro cell culture and in vivo animal models. The laboratory is part of a teaching hospital and collaborates continuously with clinicians to develop novel diagnostics and advanced therapeutic applications. A database of mutations and genes associated with genetic diseases within the Indian population is being established for future recombinant vector based gene therapy and cell replacement modalities. A clinical vector production platform is being developed and various functional genetics studies are being done with the aim of performing clinical gene therapy trials.
Ph.D. 09/2007 Gene therapy/Virology Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology,School of Medicine, Univ. of Missouri - Columbia, MO, USA.(Life Science Fellow).
M.S. 07/2000 Microbiology Dept. of Microbiology, Nagpur University, Nagpur, India (First Division, Rank 2nd).
B.S. 07/1998 Chem., Microbio., Zoology Dharampeth Science College, Nagpur University,Nagpur, India (First Division, Rank 2nd).
Adjunct Research Scientist, Singapore Eye Research Institute, Singapore
Adjunct Research Scientist, Mazumdar-Shaw Center for Translational Research
Molecular signalling mechanisms of human disease
Genetics of human disease
Gene and cell therapy
Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), Department of Science and Technology (Govt. Of India), Department of Biotechnology (DBT, Govt. of India),
Vision Group in Science and Technology (Govt. of Karnataka), Cleft Children International, Switzerland. Hoffman La-Roche, Switzerland; Johnson and Johnson, USA; Zeiss, Germany; Allergan India; Microlabs, India; FDC, India, Entod, India; Medgenome, India; Organic India, India
1. Set of biomarkers to identify early diabetic retinopathy, retinal angiogenic diseases and resistance to ocular antiVEGF therapy. Arkasubhra Ghosh, Santosh Gopi Krishna, Naresh Yadav, Priyanka Chevour, Narendra P, K. Bhujang Shetty. (Patent Application 2251/CHE/2016)
2. A quantitative testing of vitamins in tears and topical ophthalmic composition for treatment of ocular diseases. Rohit Shetty, Swaminathan Sethu, Arkasubhra Ghosh (Provisional Patent Application 3818/CHE/2015)
3. Angiogenin as a diagnostic or prognostic biomarker and drug target in age-related macular degeneration. Priyanka Chevour, Narendra P, K. Bhujang Shetty, Swaminathan Sethu, Arkasubhra Ghosh (Patent Application 11034/2016-CHE)
4. A process for identification of biomarkers for Keratoconus progression. 2013. Roger Bueurman, Arkasubhra Ghosh, Rohit Shetty, Zhou Lei and Debashish Das (provisional patent 110/CHE/2013)
5. A Transgene-independent Hybrid Vector System Expands Adeno-associated Viral Vector Packaging Capacity. 2009. Dongsheng Duan, Arkasubhra Ghosh and Yongping Yue. (US 2010/0003218 A1)
6. Dual vector technology for AAV mediated gene transfer. 2005. Dongsheng Duan, Arkasubhra Ghosh and Yongping Yue.
ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS, AWARDS AND CONFERENCE INVITATIONS
2019 Organiser of ARVO SIG session; 1 ARVO International travel awards. (1 student) ARVO Annual conference, Vancouver. 2018 Member of the Drafting Committee to formulate National Guidelines for Gene Therapy, Govt. of India (Dept. of health research and Indian Council for Medical Research).
2018 Invited faculty talk at ISER (International Society for Eye Research), Belfast, Ireland.
2018 4 ARVO International travel awards. (2 students, 2 clinical fellows) ARVO Annual conference, Hawaii.
2018 ARVO paper “Retinoblastoma regulates cellular energetics through hexokinase dependent AMPK activation.” ARVO Annual Conference. Honolulu, USA.
2017 3 ARVO International travel awards. (1 student, 2 clinical fellow) ARVO Annual conference, Baltimore.
2017 Invited faculty talk at IERG (Indian Eye Research Group) Madurai.
2017 ARVO paper “Elevated Angiogenin levels associated with both forms of age-related macular degeneration is regulated by hypoxia and telomerase”. ARVO Annual conference Baltimore.
2016 2 ARVO International travel awards. (1 PI, 1 clinical fellow). ARVO Annual conference, Seattle.
2016 Invited faculty talk at ISER (International Society for Eye Research) Japan.
2015 ARVO International travel award. Discovery of novel cell cycle regulatory and signal transduction modules driving Retinoblastoma using a correlative multi-omics approach. ARVO Annual conference Denver.
2015 2 ARVO International travel awards. (Self and student) Discovery of novel cell cycle regulatory and signal transduction modules driving Retinoblastoma using a correlative multi-omics approach. ARVO Annual conference Denver.
2015 Recognised as PhD Guide at VIT (Vellore Institute of Technology), School of BioSciences and BioTechnology, Vellore, India 2015 Appointed as Adjunct Scientist, Mazumdar Shaw Center for Translational Research, Bangalore, India.
2014 Appointed Adjunct Faculty at the Singapore Eye Research Institute, Singapore A. Ghosh C.V. -- page 6 2014 Invited Faculty at IERG (Indian Eye Research Group) Biennial meeting, India.
2013 Invited Faculty lectures (Gene Therapy, Nanomedicine) at Asia-ARVO, India 2013 Invited Faculty lecture at Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology Congress, India.
2013 Chair, Disease mechanisms and Instructor, Genetics of orbit and anterior segment. Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology Congress.
2013 Recognised as PhD Guide under RGUHS (Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences), Faculty of medicine, Department of Microbiology, Bangalore, India.
2010-2012 Panel judge for the Annual Singapore Science and Education Fair, Singapore Science Center.
2008 Excellence in Research award - The American Society of Gene Therapy.
2008 The American Society of Gene Therapy Travel award. Systemic AAV-9 delivery in normal dog leads to highlevel persistent transduction in whole body skeletal muscle. ASGT annual conference, Boston.
2008 Panel judge for the Life Science Week poster competition, 2008 (University of Missouri-Columbia) 2008 Dysferlin (Jain) Foundation award for best contributer to the dysferlin scientific forum.
2006 The American Society of Gene Therapy Travel award. A Novel Hybrid System Efficiently Expands AAV Packaging Capacity. ASGT annual conference, Baltimore.
2005 1st Place at the Missouri Life Sciences Week poster competition, Columbia, USA. Title: Packing in Portions in the right bags: Expanding the Capacity of AAV-Mediated Gene Therapy.
2003 2nd Place at the Missouri Life Sciences Week poster competition, Columbia, USA. Title: Membrane protein P43 (EntS) participates in enterobactin release from Escherichia coli.
2002-2006 Life Science predoctoral fellowship at the University of Missouri-Columbia, USA.
2002 2nd Place at the National Symposium on “Perspectives in Integrated Plant Disease Management”, Nagpur, India Poster competition. Title: Management of bacterial blight of cotton with the use of plant leaf extracts.
2001 Qualified the NET (National Eligibility Test, conducted by the University Grants Commission, India).
2001 All India rank 75th in GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering and Biomedical Sciences, conducted by the Indian Institutes of Technology and Indian Institute of Science).
1999 VSRP Fellowship (visiting scholar) at Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai, India.
RESEARCH AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
04/09-07/12-Post-doctoral research fellow, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Singapore. Role of telomeric proteins in cancer, inflammation and DNA damage repair signalling.
10/07-03/09-Post-doctoral fellow, Molecular Microbiology & Immunology, School of Medicine, University of Missouri-Columbia, MO, USA Rational design of split gene Adeno-associated viral vectors for gene therapy of cystic fibrosis and Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
08/02-09/07-PhD Scholar, Molecular Microbiology & Immunology, School of Medicine, University of MissouriColumbia, MO, USA Development of novel molecular strategies to expand packaging capacity of adeno-associated virus for delivering large therapeutic genes throughout the body to treat lethal genetic disorders
10/00-06/02-Research Associate, Central Institute for Cotton Research, Nagpur, India. Molecular diagnostic tools for rapid detection and differentiation of different races of Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. malvacearum (bacterial blight of cotton plants).
05/99-07/99-VSRP Fellow, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Molecular Biology Unit, Mumbai, India. Cloning of extragenic suppressors of pdc2 (pyruvate decarboxylase mutants) in S. cereviceae.
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS RESEARCH ARTICLES
1. Khattar E*, Ze Ya MK*, Chew CL*, Ghosh A*, Huang Mok MM, Pei L, Jun Z, Chor WH, Cildir G, Wang CQ, Mohd-Ismail MK, Chin DWL, Lee SC, Yang H, Shin Y, Nam D, Liming C, Kumar AP, Wen DL, Ikawa M, Gunaratne J, Osato M, Tergaonkar V. Rap1 regulates hematopoietic stem cell survival and affects oncogenesis and response to Chemotherapy. Nature Communications. 2019 Dec 13;10(1):5349.
2. The GenomeAsia 100K Consortium (includes Ghosh A). The GenomeAsia 100K Project: Enabling genetic discoveries across Asia. Nature 2019 Dec;576(7785):106-111.
3. Wall J et al (includes Ghosh A), GenomeAsia 100K Consortium. Identification of African-Specific Admixture between Modern and Archaic Humans. Am J Hum Genet. 2019 Dec 5;105(6):1254-1261. 4. Yohe S, Sivasankar M, Ghosh A, Ghosh A, Holle J, Murugan S, Gupta R, Schimmenti LA, Vedam R, Thyagarajan B. Prevalence of mutations in inherited retinal diseases: A comparison between the United States and India. Mol Genet Genomic Med. 2019 Dec 9:e1081.
5. Kumar N, Khamar P, Shetty R, Sharma A, Shetty N, Pahuja N, Abilash VG, Jhanji V, Ghosh A, Mohan RR, Vangala RK and Ghosh A*. Identification of novel predictive factors for post surgical corneal haze. Scientific Reports. 2019 Nov 18;9(1):16980.
6. Shetty R, Naidu JR, Nair AP, Vaidya TA, D'Souza S, Matalia H, Deshpande V, Sethu S, Ghosh A*, Chakrabarty K*. Distinct ocular surface soluble factor profile in human corneal dystrophies. Ocular Surface. 2019 pii: S1542- 0124(19)30233-2
7. Ghosh S, Padmanabhan A, Vaidya T, et al, Ghosh A, Sinha D. Neutrophils homing into the retina trigger pathology in early age-related macular degeneration. Communications Biology. 2019. Sep 20;2:348
8. Panigrahi T, Shivakumar S, Shetty R, D'souza S, Jacob E, Sethu S, Jeyabalan N, Ghosh A*. Trehalose augments autophagy to mitigate stress induced inflammation in human corneal cells. Ocular Surface. 2019 Aug 11; (19)30156-9.
9. Yazdankhah M, Shang P, Ghosh S, Bhutto IA, Stepicheva N, Grebe R, Hose S, Weiss J, Luo T, Mishra S, Riazuddin SA, Ghosh A, Handa JT, Lutty GA, Zigler JS Jr, Sinha D. Modulating EGFR-MTORC1-autophagy as a potential therapy for persistent fetal vasculature (PFV) disease. Autophagy. 2019 Sep 1:1-13.
10. Lim RR, Vaidya T, Gadde SG, Yadav NK, Sethu S, Hainsworth DP, Mohan RR, Ghosh A, Chaurasia SS. Correlation between systemic S100A8 and S100A9 levels and severity of diabetic retinopathy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2019 Mar - Apr;13(2):1581-1589.
11. Gopinath C, Chodisetty S, Ghosh A, Nelson EJR. Efficiency of different fragment lengths of the ubiquitous chromatin opening element HNRPA2B1-CBX3 in driving human CD18 gene expression within self-inactivating lentiviral vectors for gene therapy applications. Gene. 2019 Aug 20;710:265-272.
12. Khamar P, Nair AP, Shetty R, Vaidya T, Subramani M, Ponnalagu M, Dhamodaran K, D’souza S, Ghosh A, Pahuja N, Deshmukh R, Ahuja P, Saini K, Nuijts RMMA, Das D, Ghosh A,* Sethu S*. Dysregulated tear fluid nociception-associated factors, corneal dendritic cell density and vitamin D levels in evaporative dry eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2019 Jun 3;60(7):2532-2542.
13. Shetty R, Kumar NR, Khamar P, Francis M, Sethu S, Randleman JB, Krueger RR, Sinha Roy A, Ghosh A*. Bilaterally Asymmetric Corneal Ectasia Following SMILE With Asymmetrically Reduced Stromal Molecular Markers. J Refract Surg. 2019 Jan 1;35(1):6-14.
14. Agrawal R, Balne PK, Wei X, Bijin VA, Lee B, Ghosh A, Narayanan R, Agrawal M, Connolly J Cytokine Profiling in Patients With Exudative Age-Related Macular Degeneration and Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2019 Jan 2;60(1):376-382.
15. Shetty R, Vunnava KP, Dhamodaran K, Matalia H, Murali S, Jayadev C, Murugeswari P, Ghosh A, Das D. Characterization of Corneal Epithelial Cells in Keratoconus. Transl Vis Sci Technol. 2019 Jan 3;8(1):2.
16. Sharma NS, Acharya SK, Nair AP, Matalia J, Shetty R, Ghosh A*, Sethu S*. Dopamine levels in human tear fluid. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2019 Jan;67(1):38-41.
17. Nguyen TT, Poornachandra B, Verma A, Mehta RA, Phalke S, Battu R, Ramprasad VL, Peterson AS, Ghosh A*, Seshagiri S*. Next generation sequencing identifies novel disease-associated BEST1 mutations in Bestrophinopathy patients. Scientific Reports. 2018 Jul 5;8(1):10176.
18. Shivakumar S, Panigrahi T, Shetty R, Ghosh A*, Nallathambi J*. Chloroquine protects human corneal epithelial cells from desiccation stress induced inflammation without altering the autophagy flux. BioMed Research International. 2018:7627329.
19. Shetty R, Rajiv Kumar N, Pahuja N, Deshmukh R, Vunnava K, Abilash VG, Roy AS, Ghosh A*. Outcomes of Corneal Cross-Linking Correlate With Cone-Specific Lysyl Oxidase Expression in Patients With Keratoconus. Cornea. 2018 Mar;37(3):369-374.
20. Dave N, Chevour P, Mahendradas P, Venkatesh A, Kawali A, Shetty R, Ghosh A*, Sethu S*. Increased CD4+/CD8+ lymphocyte ratio in the aqueous humour as a biomarker in sarcoidosis associated anterior uveitis. Ocular Immunology and Inflammation. 2018 Feb 8:1-8.
21. Gupta S, Fink MK, Ghosh A, Tripathi R, Sinha PR, Sharma A, Hesemann NP, Chaurasia SS, Giuliano EA, Mohan RR. Novel Combination BMP7 and HGF Gene Therapy Instigates Selective Myofibroblast Apoptosis and Reduces Corneal Haze In Vivo. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2018 Feb 1;59(2):1045-1057.
22. Chaurasia SS, Lim RR, Parikh BH, Wey YS, Tun BB, Wong TY, Luu CD, Agrawal R, Ghosh A, Mortellaro A, Rackoczy E, Mohan RR, Barathi VA. The NLRP3 Inflammasome May Contribute to Pathologic Neovascularization in the Advanced Stages of Diabetic Retinopathy. Sci Rep. 2018 Feb 12;8(1):2847.
23. Teng Y, Yam GH, Li N, Wu S, Ghosh A, Wang N, Pang CP, Jhanji V. MicroRNA regulation of MDM2-p53 loop in pterygium. Exp Eye Res. 2018 Jan 31;169:149-156.
24. Shetty R, Deshmukh R, Ghosh A, Sethu S, Jayadev C. Altered tear inflammatory profile in Indian keratoconus patients - The 2015 Col Rangachari Award paper. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2017 Nov;65(11):1105-1108.
25. Balne PK, Au VB, Tong L, Ghosh A, Agrawal M, Connolly J, Agrawal R. Bead Based Multiplex Assay for Analysis of Tear Cytokine Profiles. J Vis Exp. 2017 Oct 13;(128).
26. Shetty R, Pahuja N, Roshan T, Deshmukh R, Francis M, Ghosh A, Sinha Roy A. Customized Corneal Crosslinking Using Different UVA Beam Profiles. J Refract Surg. 2017 Oct 1;33(10):676-682.
27. Shetty R, Sharma A, Pahuja N, Chevour P, Padmajan N, Dhamodaran K, Jayadev C, M M A Nuijts R, Ghosh A, Nallathambi J. Oxidative stress induces dysregulated autophagy in corneal epithelium of keratoconus patients. PLoS One. 2017 Sep 13;12(9):e0184628.
28. Aung T et al (includes Ghosh A). Genetic association study of exfoliation syndrome identifies a protective rare variant at LOXL1 and five new susceptibility loci. Nature Genetics. 2017 Jul;49(7):993-1004
29. Pahuja N, Shetty R, Deshmukh R, Sharma A, Nuijts RMMA, Jhanji V, Sethu S, Ghosh A. In vivo confocal microscopy and tear cytokine analysis in post-LASIK ectasia. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2017 (Apr 27).
30. Gupta S, Rodier J, Sharma A, Giuliano E, Sinha P, Hesemann N, Ghosh A, Mohan RR. Targeted AAV5-Smad7 Gene Therapy Inhibits Corneal Scarring In Vivo. PLoS One. 2017 (2017 Mar 24;12(3)).
31. Shetty R, Sethu S, Chevour P, Deshpande K, Pahuja N, Nagaraja H, Pindipappanahalli N, Ghosh A. Lower vitamin D level and distinct tear cytokine profile were observed in patients with mild dry eye signs but exaggerated symptoms. Transl Vis Sci Technol. 2016 Dec 14;5(6):16)
32. Hutter G, Sailer M, Azad TD, von Bueren AO, Nollau P, Frank S, Tostado C, Sarvepalli D, Ghosh A, Ritz MF, Boulay JL, Mariani L. Reverse phase protein arrays enable glioblastoma molecular subtyping. J Neurooncol. 2016 Nov 17.
33. Pahuja N, Kumar NR, Shroff R, Shetty R, Nuijts RM, Ghosh A, Sinha-Roy A, Chaurasia SS, Mohan RR, Ghosh A. Differential Molecular Expression of Extracellular Matrix and Inflammatory Genes at the Corneal Cone Apex Drives Focal Weakening in Keratoconus. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016 Oct 1;57(13):5372-5382.
34. Sethu S, Shetty R, Deshpande K, Pahuja N, Chinnappaiah N, Agarwal A, Sharma A, Ghosh A. Correlation between tear fluid and serum vitamin D levels. Eye Vis (Lond). 2016 Sep 2;3(1):22.
35. Agrawal R, Balne PK, Veerappan A, Au VB, Lee B, Loo E, Ghosh A, Tong L, Teoh SC, Connolly J, Tan P. A distinct cytokines profile in tear film of dry eye disease (DED) patients with HIV infection. Cytokine. 2016 Dec; 88:77-84.
36. Sailer M, Sarvepalli D, Bregere C, Fisch U, Guentchev M, Guzman R, Bettler B, Ghosh A*, Hutter G. An enzymeand serum-free neural stem cell culture model for EMT investigation suited for drug discovery. Journal of Visualized Experiments, 2016 Aug 23;(114).
37. Pahuja N, Kumar NR, Francis M, Shanbagh S, Shetty R, Ghosh A* and Sinha-Roy A. Correlation of clinical and biomechanical outcomes of accelerated crosslinking (9 mW/cm2 in 10 minutes) in Keratoconus with molecular expression of ectasia related genes. Current Eye Research 2016 May 9:1-5.
38. Shetty R, Sethu S, Ghosh A, Deshmukh R, Deshpande K, Agrawal A and Shroff R. Corneal dendritic cell density is associated with sub-basal nerve plexus features, ocular surface disease index and serum vitamin D in evaporative dry eye disease. BioMed Research International. 2016:4369750.
39. Pahuja N, Shetty R, Nuijts R, Agrawal A, Ghosh A, Jayadev C and Nagaraja H. An in vivo confocal microscopic study of corneal nerve morphology in unilateral keratoconus. BioMed Research International. 2016:5067853.
40. Khor CC, et al (includes Ghosh A). Genome-wide association study identifies five new susceptibility loci for primary angle closure glaucoma. Nature Genetics. 2016 May;48(5):556-62. doi: 10.1038/ng.3540. Epub 2016 Apr 4
41. Shetty R, Deshpande K, Ghosh A, Sethu S. Management of Ocular Neuropathic Pain With Vitamin B12 Supplements: A Case Report. Cornea. 2015 Oct;34(10):1324-5.
42. Shetty R, Matalia H, Srivatsa P, Ghosh A, Sinha-Roy A. A novel Zernike application to differentiate between 3-D corneal thickness of normal corneas and corneas with Keratoconus American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2015, Jun 8.
43. Shetty R, Nuijts RM, Nanaiah SG, Anandula VR, Ghosh A, Jayadev C, Pahuja N, Kumaramanickavel G, Nallathambi J. Two novel missense substitutions in the VSX1 gene: clinical and genetic analysis of families with Keratoconus from India. BMC Med Genet. 2015 May 12;16(1):33.
44. Battu R, Verma A, Hariharan R, Krishna S, Kiran R, Jacob J, Ganapathy A, Vedam R, Kumaramanickavel G, Jeyablan N and Ghosh A. Identification of novel mutations in ABCA4 Gene: Clinical and genetic analysis of Indian patients with Stargardt’s Disease. BioMed Research International. 2015; 940864. doi: 10.1155/2015/940864. Epub 2015 Apr 2.
45. Aung T, et al (includes Ghosh A). A common variant mapping to CACNA1A is associated with susceptibility to exfoliation syndrome. Nature Genetics. 2015 Apr;47(4):387-92.
46. Shetty R# , Ghosh A# , Murali S, Lim RR, Mihir K, Reshma AR, Ranganath A, Nagaraj S, Nuijts RMMA, Bueurman R, Das D, Chaurasia SS, Sinha-Roy A and Ghosh A. Elevated expression of Matrix Metalloproteinase 9 and Inflammatory Cytokines in Keratoconus Patients is inhibited by Cyclosporine A. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 2015 Jan 12;21:12-25.
47. Shetty R, Ramachandra RA, Sathyanarayanamoorthy A, Arora V, Ghosh A, Srivatsa PR, Pahuja N, Nuijts RMMA, Sinha-Roy A, Mohan RR and Ghosh A. Attenuation of Lysyl Oxidase and Collagen Gene Expression in Keratoconus Patient Corneal Epithelium Corresponds to Disease Severity. Molecular Vision. 2015 Feb 3;56(2):738-50.
48. Biomechanics of the cornea evaluated by spectral analysis of waveforms from Ocular Response Analyzer and Corvis-ST. Tejwani S, Shetty R, Kurien M, Dinakaran S, Ghosh A, Sinha Roy A. PLoS One 2014 Aug 27;9(8))
49. Ghosh A, Saginc G, Leow SC, Khattar E, Shin EM, Wong M, Malik N, Yan TD, Zhang Z, Li G, Sun WK, Zhou J, Chng WJ, Li S, Liu E, Tergaonkar V. Telomerase directly regulates NFkB dependent transcription. Nature Cell Biology. 2012 Dec;14(12):1270-81. [Recommended by Faculty of 1000 as being of special significance to the field].
50. Korampally M, Apperson SJ, Staley CS, Castorena JA, Thiruvengadathan R, Gangopadhyay K, Mohan RR, Ghosh A, Polo-Parada L, Gangopadhyay S. Transient pressure mediated intranuclear delivery of FITC-Dextran into chicken cardiomyocytes by MEMS-based nanothermite reaction actuator. Sensors and Actuators B. August–September 2012, (171-172):1292–1296.
51. Ghosh A, Yue Y, Duan D. Efficient transgene reconstitution with hybrid dual AAV vectors carrying the minimized bridging sequences. Hum Gene Therapy 2011 Jan;22(1):77-83.
52. Teo HL, Ghosh S*, Leusch H*, Ghosh A*, Wong ET*, Malik N, Wong M, Orth A, Jesus P, Perry AS, Oliver JD, Tran NL, Speiser L, Saez E, Schultz P, Chanda S, Verma I and Tergaonkar V. Telomere independent Rap1 is an IKK-adaptor and regulates NFkB-dependent gene expression. Nature Cell Biology. Aug;12(8):758-67. (*Equal contribution). [News and Views feature on the article in Nature Cell Biology. 2010].
53. Sharma, A, Tovey J, Ghosh A, Mohan RR. AAV serotype influences gene transfer in corneal stroma in vivo. Experimental Eye Research. September 2010; 91(3): 440-448.
54. Lei B, Zhang K, Yue Y, Ghosh A, Duan D. Adeno-associated virus serotype-9 mediated retinal outer plexiform layer transduction is mainly through photoreceptors. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2010; 664:671-8.
55. Sharma A, Ghosh A, Hansen ET, Newman JM, Mohan RR. Transduction efficiency of AAV 2/6, 2/8 and 2/9 vectors for delivering genes in human corneal fibroblasts. Brain Res Bulletin. 2010 Feb 15;81(2-3):273-8.
56. Chakrabarty PK, Chavhan RL, Ghosh A and Gabriel DW. Rapid and efficient protocols for high throughput extraction of plasmid DNA from strains of Xanthomonas axonopodis pv malvacearum and E. coli. J. Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Vol 19 (1): 99-102, Jan 2010.
57. Ghosh A, Yue Y, Shin JH, Duan D. Systemic Trans-Splicing Adeno-Associated Viral Delivery Efficiently Transduces the Heart of Adult mdx Mouse, a Model for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Human Gene Therapy. 2009 Nov;20(11):1319-28. [Commentary in Human Gene Therapy 2009 Nov. 20: 1224-25].
58. Lei B, Zhang K, Yue Y, Ghosh A, Duan D. Adeno-associated virus serotype-9 efficiently transduces the retinal outer plexiform layer. Molecular Vision. 2009 Jul 17;15:1374-82.
59. Ghosh A, Yue Y, Lai Y, Duan D. A novel hybrid vector system improves transduction from adeno-associated virus dual vectors by using both trans-splicing and overlapping pathways. Molecular Therapy. 2008 Jan;16(1):124-30. [Featured in BioTechniques “Citations” section. 2008 Feb; 44 (2)].
60. Yue Y, Ghosh A, Long, C, Bostick, B, Smith, BF, Kornegay, JN, Duan D. Systemic AAV-9 delivery in normal dog leads to high-level persistent transduction in whole body skeletal muscle. Molecular Therapy. 2008 Dec;16(12):1944-52.
61. Bostick B, Ghosh A, Yue Y, Long C, Duan D. Systemic AAV-9 transduction in mice is influenced by animal age but not by route of administration. Gene Therapy. 2007 Nov;14(22):1605-9.
62. Ghosh A, Yue Y, Long C, Bostick B, Duan D. Efficient whole-body transduction with trans-splicing adenoassociated viral vectors. Molecular Therapy 2007 Apr;15(4):750-5.
63. Ghosh A, Yue Y, Duan D. Viral serotype and the transgene sequence influence overlapping adeno-associated viral (AAV) vector-mediated gene transfer in skeletal muscle. Journal of Gene Medicine. 2006 Mar;8(3):298-305. 64. Lai Y, Yue Y, Liu M, Ghosh A, Engelhardt JF, Chamberlain JS, Duan D. Efficient in vivo gene expression by trans-splicing adeno-associated viral vectors. Nature Biotechnology. 2005 Nov;23(11):1435-9
REVIEW ARTICLES, BOOK CHAPTERS AND LETTERS:
1.Martin LM, Jeyabalan N, Tripathi R, Panigrahi T, Johnson PJ, Ghosh A, Mohan RR. Autophagy in corneal health and disease: A concise review. Ocul Surf. 2019 Jan 25.
2. Chakrabarty K and Ghosh A. Corneal cell therapy: with iPSCs, it is no more a far-sight. Stem Cell Research and Therapy. 2018, DOI: 10.1186/s13287-018-1036-5
3. Sailer MH, Sahu GR, Ghosh A. Pharmaco-Gene Therapy. (Invited book chapter) Gene and Cell therapy: Biology and applications. Elsevier Press 2018; ISBN 978-981-13-0480-4.
4. Ghosh A, Nishtala K. Biofluid lipidome: a source for potential diagnostic biomarkers. Clinical and Translational Medicine. 2017 Dec;6(1):22.
5. Ghosh A, Jeyabalan N, Shetty R, Mohan RR. Keratoconus in Asia. (Invited book chapter). Advances in Vision Research: Volume I; Genetic eye research in Asia and Pacific. 2017 ISBN 978-4-431-56509
6. Nishtala K, Pahuja N, Shetty R, Nuijts RM, Ghosh A. Tear biomarkers for Keratoconus. (Invited review). Eye Vis (Lond). 2016 Aug 4;3:19.
7. Ghosh A, Shetty R, Chaurasia SS. Author Response: Causal Management of Keratoconus: Controlling Inflammation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016 Apr 1;57(4):2165
8. Verma A, Chitra G, Nelson EJR, Shetty R and Ghosh A. Gene Therapy for Inherited Ocular Disorders – A Revolutionary Medicine. (Invited review, Accepted, Indian Journal of Ophthalmology)
9. Gopinath C, Nathar TJ, Ghosh A, Hickstein DD, Nelson EJ. Contemporary Animal Models For Human Gene Therapy Applications. Curr Gene Ther. 2015 Sep 29.
10. Ghosh A*, Zhou L, Ghosh A, Shetty R, Bueurman R. Proteomic and gene expression patterns in Keratoconus. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology 2013 Aug;61(8):389-91.
11. Jeyabalan N, Shetty R, Ghosh A, Anandula VR, Ghosh A, Kumaramanickavel G. Genetic and genomic perspective to understand the molecular pathogenesis of keratoconus. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology 2013 Aug;61(8):384-8.
12. Thiruvengadathan R, Korampally V, Ghosh A, Chanda N, Gangopadhyay K and Gangopadhyay S. Nanomaterial Processing using Self Assembly - Bottom-Up Chemical and Biological Approaches and Top-Down Patterning Processes. Reports on Progress in Physics. (Invited article). 2013 Jun; 76(6):066501. A. Ghosh C.V. -- page 5
13. Ghosh A*, Tergaonkar V. Extra-telomeric roles of telomeric proteins. Reviews on Selected Topics of Telomere Biology 2012. ISBN 978-953-51-0849-8 Intech. (Invited book chapter). (* Corresponding author).
14. Ghosh A, Tergaonkar V. Telomeres and Inflammation: Rap1 joins the ends? Cell Cycle 2010 Oct 1;9(19):3834- 3835. (Invited “Extra View” article).
15. Sharma A, Ghosh A, Sidappa, C and Mohan RR. Corneal Gene Therapy. Encyclopedia of the eye. 2010 Vol 2. Oxford Academic Press; 2010. pp. 185-194.
16. Ghosh A and Duan D. Expanding Adeno-associated viral vector capacity – A tale of two vectors, Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering Reviews. 2007 Vol. 24, 165-178.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO INSTITUTION AND COMMUNITY:
2008-present Peer reviewing international scientific research grant applications and articles. A. Ghosh C.V. -- page 7
2009-2012 Founding member of the IMCB Student/Postdoc Association; organized the IMCB annual symposia. Member of the A*Star Postdoc Society.
2007-2008 Editor-in-chief, “Pyramid”, the University of Missouri postdoctoral association newsletter.
2006-2007 Editor, “Shanthi sandesh”, newsletter for the Indian community and Hindu temple of Columbia, MO.
2003-2006 Recruiting students for the department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, University of Missouri –Columbia.
2002-2006 Membership of the Cultural Association of India, a MU campus student body and involved actively in various cultural programs throughout the year.