Dr. Nallathambi Jeyabalan
Dr. Nallathambi Jeyabalan
3rd Floor, Narayana Nethralaya, Narayana Health City
# 258/A, Bommasandra, Hosur Road,
Bangalore, 560099 INDIA.
Dr. Nallathambi Jeyabalan obtained his PhD in Biomedical science (Ocular genetics) from Aravind Eye Hospital and Madurai Kamaraj University, India. He did his postdoctoral fellowship in University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden, in the field of Ocular developmental Biology using mouse models. Then he moved to Duke Eye Center, Duke University, North Carolina USA as a Postdoctoral Research Associate to study the autophagy regulation on glaucoma pathogenesis using in-vivo and in-vitro models.
He joined NN as a senior scientist in the Grow laboratory, and his research interest spans around basic and translational research of eye diseases. Specifically, he is interested in understanding the molecular genetic basis of Inherited Eye Diseases. His field research expertises are gene mapping, developing mouse models, cell models, signalling pathways in disease development including autophagy regulation in ocular pathogenesis and treatment.
Ph.D : 2008, Biomedical science, Madurai Kamaraj university, India.
MSc : 2003 Integrated Biology, Madurai Kamaraj university, India.
Bsc : 2001 Chemistry , Madurai Kamaraj university, India.
Current research Interests:
Autophagy (self-eating process) is an essential cellular mechanism that is important for variety of normal development and physiological conditions. It is fundamental cellular machinery which controls intracellular protein trafficking and degradation pathways and protect against aging, cancer, neurodegenerative disorders, inflammatory, and metabolic diseases, including infections. The current research focus is to identify the role of autophagic lysosomal pathway in ophthalmic disorders using various biochemical and genetic approaches, to elucidate the molecular mechanism of normal and disease progression, prevention.
Ongoing studies/Research Funding
Role of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of Keratoconus (Funded by DST-SERB)
Genetic analysis of Indian families with Keratoconus (funded by ICMR)
Understanding the autophagy regulation in the pathogenesis of Keratoconus (Funded by DAE-BRNS)
Genetic analysis of Indian families with Keratoconus(funded by ICMR)
Role of autophagy in the pathophysiology of pterygium (Funded by DAE-BRNS)
Postdoctoral Research associate:(2010-2012) at the Department of ophthalmology and Pathology, Duke University Medical center, Duke Eye center. Durham, NorthCarolina,USA.
Postdoctoral fellow: (2008-2010) at the Dept of Cell and Molecular Biology,Goteborg University, Lundberg Laboratory,Goteborg,Sweden.
Research Fellow (2003-2008) Aravind Medical Research foundation,Aravind Eye hospital, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India.
PhD Visiting Research Fellowship (2006-2007) Institut Cochin, Paris F-75014, France
Professional recognition, awards, fellowships received
Travel Grant awardee of Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO,USA-May 2016)
Young Scientist Award with grant (2013)– Deapartment of Science and Technology (DST-SERB) Govt of India,New Delhi
Postdoctoral Research Associate (2010-2012) funded by NIH, USA
Lawski Postdoctoral fellowship (2008-2010) funded by Lund University, Sweden..
Sandwich PhD VISITING fellowship (2006-2007) to Paris funded by France Embassy, New Delhi, India
1.Panigrahi T, Shivakumar S, Shetty R, D'souza S, Jacob E, Sethu S, Nallathambi J, Ghosh A. Trehalose augments autophagy to mitigate stress induced inflammation in human corneal cells. Ocul Surf. 2019 .
2.Martin LM, Nallathambi J, Tripathi R, Panigrahi T, Johnson PJ, Ghosh A, Mohan RR. Autophagy in corneal health and disease: A concise review. Ocul Surf. 2019
3.Lekshmi K, Kamesh D, Murali S, Murugeswari P, Nallathambi J et.al, Protective Role of Decellularized Human Amniotic Membrane from Oxidative Stress-Induced Damage on Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells. ACS Biomater. Sci. Eng., 2019, 5 (1), pp 357–372
4.Shivakumar S, Panigrahi T, Shetty R, Subramani M, Ghosh A, Nallathambi J: Chloroquine Protects Human Corneal Epithelial Cells from Desiccation Stress Induced Inflammation without Altering the Autophagy Flux. Biomed Res Int. 2018
5.Subramani M, Ponnalagu M, Krishna L, Nallathambi J, Chevour P, Sharma A, Jayadev C, Shetty R, Begum N, Archunan G, Das D. Resveratrol reverses the adverse effects of bevacizumab on cultured ARPE-19 cells. Sci Rep. 2017 Sep 25;7(1):12242
6.Shetty R, Sharma A, Pahuja N, Chevour P, Padmajan N, Dhamodaran K, Jayadev C, M M A Nuijts R, Ghosh A, Nallathambi J*. Oxidative stress induces dysregulated autophagy in corneal epithelium of keratoconus patients. PLoS One. 2017 Sep 13;12(9):e0184628
7. Rajani Battu, Nallathambi Jeyabalan, Praveen Murthy. Kavita S Reddy, Jan SAG Schouten,Caroll A Webers. Genetic analysis and clinical phenotype of two Indian families with X-linked Choroideremia. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2016 Jan;62(1):66-73
8. Jeyabalan N, Clement JP. SYNGAP1: Mind the Gap. Front Cell Neurosci. 2016 Feb 15;10:32.
9. Dhamodaran K, Subramani M, Jeyabalan N, Ponnalagu M, Chevour P, Shetty R, Matalia H, Shetty R, Prince SE, Das D.Characterization of ex vivo cultured limbal, conjunctival, and oral mucosal cells: A comparative study with implications in transplantation medicine.Mol Vis. 2015 Jul 31;21:828-45.
10. Shetty R, Nuijts RM, Nanaiah SG, Anandula VR, Ghosh A, Jayadev C, Pahuja N, Kumaramanickavel G, Nallathambi J*. Two novel missense substitutions in the VSX1 gene: clinical and genetic analysis of families with Keratoconus from India.BMC Med Genet. 2015 May 12;16(1):33.
11. Battu R, Verma A, Hariharan R, Krishna S, Kiran R, Jacob J, Ganapathy A, Ramprasad VL, Kumaramanickavel G, Jeyabalan N*, Ghosh A. Identification of Novel Mutations in ABCA4 Gene: Clinical and Genetic Analysis of Indian Patients with Stargardt Disease. Biomed Res International 2015;2015
12. Patiño LC, Battu R, Ortega-Recalde O, Nallathambi J, Anandula VR, Renukaradhya U, Laissue P. Exome sequencing is an efficient tool for variant late-infantile neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis molecular diagnosis. PLoS One. 2014 Oct 15;9(10)
13. Porter KM, Nallathambi J, Liton PB. MTOR-independent induction of autophagy in trabecular meshwork cells subjected to biaxial stretch. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014 Jun;1843(6):1054-62.
14. Dabir SS, Das D, Nallathambi J, Mangalesh S, Yadav NK, Schouten JS. Differential systemic gene expression profile in patients with diabetic macular edema: responders versus nonresponders to standard treatment Indian J Ophthalmol. 2014 Jan;62(1):66-73.
15. Nallathambi J, Shetty R, Ghosh A, Anandula VR, Ghosh AS, Kumaramanickavel G. Genetic and genomic perspective to understand the molecular pathogenesis of keratoconus. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2013 Aug;61(8):384-8.
16. Porter K, Nallathambi J, Lin Y, Liton PB. Lysosomal basification and decreased autophagic flux in oxidatively stressed trabecular meshwork cells: Implications for glaucoma pathogenesis. Autophagy. 2013 Jan 29;9 (4).
17. Nallathambi J, Laissue P, Batista F, Benayoun BA, Lesaffre C, Moumné L, Pandaranayaka PE, Usha K, Krishnaswamy S, Sundaresan P, Veitia RA. Differential functional effects of novel mutations of the transcription factor FOXL2 in BPES patients. Hum Mutat. 2008 (8):E123-31.
18. Moumné L, Batista F, Benayoun BA, Nallathambi J, Fellous M, Sundaresan P, Veitia RA. The mutations and potential targets of the forkhead transcription factor FOXL2.Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2008 282(1-2):2-11.
19. Nallathambi J, Neethirajan G, Usha K, Jitendra J, De Baere E, Sundaresan P. FOXL2 mutations in Indian families with blepharophimosis-ptosis-epicanthus inversussyndrome. J Genet. 2007 (2):165-8.
20. Nallathambi J, Moumné L, De Baere E, Beysen D, Usha K, Sundaresan P, Veitia RA. A novel polyalanine expansion in FOXL2: the first evidence for a recessive form of the blepharophimosis syndrome (BPES) associated with ovarian dysfunction. Hum Genet. 2007 121(1):107-12. .
21. Suganthalakshmi B, Shukla D, Rajendran A, Kim R, Nallathambi J, Sundaresan P. Genetic variations in the hotspot region of RS1 gene in Indian patients with juvenile X-linked retinoschisis. Mol Vis. 2007 13:611-7.
22. Nallathambi J, Shukla D, Rajendran A, Namperumalsamy P, Muthulakshmi R, Sundaresan P. Identification of novel FZD4 mutations in Indian patients with familial exudative vitreoretinopathy. Mol Vis. 2006 12:1086-92.
23. Neethirajan G, Nallathambi J, Krishnadas SR, Vijayalakshmi P, Shashikanth S, Collinson JM, Sundaresan P. Identification of novel mutant PAX6 alleles in Indian cases of familial aniridia.BMC Ophthalmol. 2006 ;6:28.
24. Nallathambi J, Neethirajan G, Shashikant S, Vijayalakshmi P, Sundaresan P. PAX6 missense mutations associated in patients with optic nerve malformation. Mol Vis. 2006; 12:236-42.