Dr. Debashish Das
Chief Scientist, Stem Cell Research Laboratory
Dr. Debashish Das
Chief Scientist, Stem Cell Research Laboratory
3rd Floor, Narayana Nethralaya, Narayana Health City
# 258/A, Bommasandra, Hosur Road,
Bangalore, 560099 INDIA.
Phone +91-80-6666 0719
Director, Imaging, Biomechanics and Mathematical Modeling Solutions
Dr. Das did his M.S. Medical Laboratory Technology, at Sankara Nethralaya, in an off-campus course of Birla Institute of Technology, Pilani. He then pursued his M.Phil in Genetics from University of Madras, where he was among the top five best outgoing students of the University. He completed his Ph.D in Developmental Neuroscience from Max Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin-Germany. He got interested in understanding the potential of stem cells into neuronal regeneration, and did his post doctoral research in stem cells at Karolinska Medical Nobel Institute, Stockholm. He then returned to his home country and worked at Imgenex India Pvt Ltd, where he initiated stem cell related works. He then moved to Narayana Nethralaya, where he is Chief Scientist Basic Science R & D and leads a team towards the usage of stem cell in health and disease. He had previously worked for small period of time at L.V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad. He is presently recognized by Vellore Institute of Technology to be a guide for M.S. by research, M.Phil and Ph.D students from Vellore.
2013-2016: PI, Department of Science & Technology, Govt of India. To study the role of notch signaling on ex-vivo expansion and trans-differentiation of limbal epithelial cells to corneal lineage
2014-2016: PI, National Keratoconus Foundation, USA. To study the effect of accelerated corneal collagen crosslinking on cultured limbal epithelial cells
2013-2016: Co-PI, Department of Science & Technology, Govt of India. To investigate the effect of anti-vascular endothelial growth factor treatment on retinal pigment epithelium: a step in understanding the etiology of treatment nonresponders
2013-2016: PI, Indian Council of Medical Research, Govt of India. To compare the effect of accelerated collagen crosslinking and conventional crosslinking on ex-vivo cultured limbal epithelial stem cell
2013-2016: PI, Department of Biotechnology, Govt of India. investigating the role of autophagic lysosomal pathway in ex-vivo cultured ocular limbal epithelial stem cells: implications in corneal transplantation success
A process for identification of biomarkers for Keratoconus progression. Roger Bueurman, Arkasubhra Ghosh, Rohit Shetty, Zhou Lei, Debashish Das. Patent No. 110/CHE/2013.
1. Lekshmi Krishna, Kamesh Dhamodaran, Chaitra Jayadev, Kaushik Chatterjee, Rohit Shetty, S.S. Khora, Debashish Das. Nanostructured scaffold as a determinant of stem cell fate. Stem Cell Research and Therapy, 2016; Dec 30;7(1):188.
2. MuraliSubramani, PonnalaguMurugeswari, Kamesh Dhamodaran, Priyanka Chevour, Sindhu Gunasekaran, Rajesh S Kumar, Chaitra Jayadev, Rohit Shetty, Nargis Begum, Debashish Das. Short pulse of clinical concentration of bevacizumab modulates human retinal pigment epithelial functionality. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 2016;57:1140–1152
3. Kamesh dhamodaran, Muralisubramani, Himanshu matalia, Chaitra jayadev, Rohitshetty, Debashish Das. One for all: A standardized protocol for ex vivo culture of limbal, conjunctival and oral mucosal epithelial cells into corneal lineage. Cytotherapy. 2016;18(4):546-61
4. Kamesh Dhamodaran, MuraliSubramani, Nallathambi Jeyabalan, MurugesariPonnalagu, Priyanka Chevour, Reshma Shetty, Himanshu Matalia, Rohit Shetty, Sabina Prince, Debashish Das. Characterization of ex-vivo cultured limbal, conjunctival and oral mucosal cells: A comparative study with implication in transplantation medicine. Molecular Vision.2015Jul 31;21:828-45
5. Acquisition of Cancer Stem Cell Behaviour Plays a Role in Drug Resistance to Combination Chemotherapy and Prognosis in Head and Neck Cancer. Sindhu Govindan Valiyaveedan,Balaji Ramachandran, JeyaramIliaraja, Ravindra DR, Bonney Lee James, KulsumSafeena, Ramanan Pandian, Gangotri Siddappa, Debashish Das, Nisheena R, Aravindakshan Jayaprakash,Vikram Kekatpure, Wesley Hicks Jr, Moni A Kuriakose and Amritha Suresh. Journal of Stem Cell Research & Therapy. 2015. 5:261
6. Establishment and characterization of triple drug resistant head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cell lines. Sindhu Valiyaveedan Govindan, SafeenaKulsum, Ramanan S, Debashish Das, MukundSeshadri, Wesley Hicks Jr, Moni A Kuriakose, Amritha Suresh. Molecular Medicine Reports 2015. 12.2: 3025-3032.
7. Elevated expression of Matrix Metalloproteinase 9 and Inflammatory Cytokines in Keratoconus Patients is inhibited by Cyclosporine A. Rohit Shetty, Anuprita Ghosh, Rayne R. Lim, MuraliSubramani, KrinaMihir, Reshma A. R, Ashwini Ranganath, Sriharsha Nagaraj, Rudy M. M. A. Nuijts, RogerBueurman, Reshma Shetty, Debashish Das, Shyam S. Chaurasia, Abhijit Sinha-Roy, Arkasubhra Ghosh. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 2015. 3;56(2):738-50
8. Safety profile of accelerated corneal cross-linking versus conventional crosslinking: a comparative study on ex vivo-cultured limbal epithelial cells. Shetty R, Matalia H, Nuijts R, Subramani M, Dhamodaran K, Pandian R, Jayadev C, Das D. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2014. 99; 272-280
9. Ocular stem cells: A status update. Kamesh Dhamodaran, Subramani MuraliMurgeswari P, Reshma Shetty, Debashish Das. Stem Cell
Research and Therapy. 2014. 5:56.
10. Differential systemic gene expression profile in patients with diabetic macular edema: responders versus non-responders to standard treatment. Supriya S Dabir, Debashish Das, Jeyabalan Nallathambi, ShwethaMangalesh, Naresh Yadav, Jan S. A. G. Schouten. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology. 2014, 62(1); 66-73
11. Fate of limbal epithelial cell in a lab. In ROPEONLINE video tutorial edited by Chaitra Jayadeva. Debashish Das. Elsevier Health Science (www.ropeonline.org). 2013
12. Ocular stem cells: An overview. In Recent Advances in Ophthalmology Research edited by Galina Dimitrova. Kamesh Dhamodaran, Reshma Shetty, SubramaniMurali, Debashish Das. Nova Publishers, USA. 2013, 103-135 (Book Chapter)
13. Interview in “To Link or Not to Link: CXL Discussion at ESCRS Matures as Procedure’s Use Grows”By Linda Roach, AAO-ISRS- Refractive surgery Outlook 2012.
14. Potential apoptotic effect of ultraviolet-A irradiation during corss-linking: astudy on ex-vivo cultivated limbal epithelial cells. Himanshu Matalia, Rohit Shetty, Kamesh Dhamodaran, MuraliSubramania, Vincent Arokiaraj, Debashish Das. British Journal of Ophthalmology. Oct;96(10): 2012 1339-45
15. RPE 65 gene mutation: A rare event in Lebers Congenital Amaurosis patients in Indian subcontinent. RamanaAnandulaVenkata, Raju Konduru Chandra Sekhar, Sujatha Pokala, Das Debashish, Ramesh N. Research Journal of Biotechnology. 7(2):2012, 18-21.
16. Numblike and Numb differentially affect p53 and Sonic Hedgehog. Lining Liu, Fredrik Lanner, Urban Lendahl, Debashish Das. BiochemBiophys Res Commun. 413(3):2011, 426-31.
17. Notch induces cyclin-D1-dependent proliferation during a specific temporal window of neural differentiation in ES cells.Das D, Lanner F, Main H, Andersson ER, Bergmann O, Sahlgren C, Heldring N, Hermanson O, Hansson EM, Lendahl U. Dev Biol. 348(2): 2010, 153-66.
18. Control of Notch-ligand endocytosis by ligand-receptor interaction.Hansson EM, Lanner F, Das D, Mutvei A, Marklund U, Ericson J, Farnebo F, Stumm G, Stenmark H, Andersson ER, Lendahl U. J Cell Biol.123(Pt 17): 2010, 2931-42.
19. Impaired synapse function during postnatal development in the absence of CALEB, an EGF-like protein processed by neuronal activity. René Jüttner, Margret I. Moré, Debashish Das, AlekseiBabich, Jochen Meier, Mechthild Henning, Bettina Erdmann, Eva-Christiana Müller, Albrecht Otto, Rosemarie Grantyn and Fritz G. Rathjen. Neuron, 46; 2005, 233-45.
20. Acanthamoeba Keratitis in non-contact lens wearers in India. Savitri Sharma, GunishaPasricha, Debashish Das, Ramesh K Aggarwal. Archives of Ophthalmology, 122; 2004, 1430-4.
21. Reliability of Nested PCR in the diagnosis of bacterilaendophthalmitis. Savitri Sharma, Debashish Das, Raj Anand, Taraprasad Das, ChitraKannabiran. American Journal of Ophthalmology, 133 (1); 2002, 142-4.
22. Genetics of retinoblastoma: A cytogenetic and segregation analyses profile of 81 patients from a referral hospital in Southern India. RajasekharHarini, MD. AtaUr -Rasheed, Mahesh P Shanmugam, Jacob Amli, Debashish Das, Govindaswamy Kumarmanickavel. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, 49 (1); 2001, 37-42.
23. A novel method for eliminating the melanin pigments from melanoma cells undergoing cytogenetic analysis in cases of uveal melanoma. Debashish Das, MD. Ata-Ur-Rasheed. Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics, 127; 2001, 181-3.